A new campaign is calling on businesses and individuals to play their part in creating a new-look department for young patients at Ipswich Hospital.
The Ipswich Hospital Charity has this week kickstarted its £2.5m fundraising appeal, with a plea to help them develop a modern child-friendly environment for their vital round-the-clock care work.
It is hoped that the transformational project will see the children’s department, which is currently made up of the 24-bed Bergholt inpatient ward, a children’s outpatient department and a short stay Paediatric Assessment Unit, completely remodelled and refurbished.
Patients and their families have already been involved in helping to draw up the plans, which include:
- Increasing outpatient clinic rooms from six to 14, with dedicated spaces allocated for specialist clinics such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis and physiotherapy
- Creating separate entrances for the outpatients and inpatients departments
- Adding multiple break-out play areas to give all children the chance to play
- Refurbishing the outside play area
On the ward, specific changes include:
- En-suite rooms will increase from one to four and side rooms from seven to 10
- Dedicated teenage / young person spaces will be created
- The total number of beds will increase from 24 to 26, while more isolation cubicles will be available
- A two-bed high dependency area will be created
- More space will be provided in bays for specialist equipment and so that parents can stay with their children
- A separate dining area will be introduced so that patients can eat away from others who may be nil by mouth or have an eating disorder
The project is set to progress over the next two or three years, in several phases.
Sarah Smith, children’s matron at the hospital, said: “We are delighted to launch our children’s appeal, which aims to create a modern, welcoming environment which matches the high standards of care which our patients receive.
“The new-look department will significantly improve the facilities available to our staff and help them to continue meeting increasing demand for our services while maintaining their focus on delivering a gold standard of care for every single patient.
“Our new-look department will be beautifully illustrated with a Suffolk farming and countryside theme so that it reflects our local area, stands the test of time and appeals to children and young people of all ages.
“We’d encourage anyone who is thinking about holding a cake sale, arranging a sponsored walk or challenging themselves by running a marathon to consider supporting our children’s appeal and helping our dream become a reality.”
You can read more about the appeal or make an online donation at the following link: http://www.ipswichhospitalcharity.co.uk/childrensappeal/
Alternatively you can send a donation by cheque made payable to ‘The Ipswich Hospital Charity’ to The Ipswich Hospital Charity, Post Box No 49, Heath Road, Ipswich, IP4 5PD.
Charity Hub East looks forward to sharing more information about this campaign and its progress.